Posts by Derpyair

If you are artistically inclined and would like to make liveries you're going to have to learn some basic scripting to make your livery work. Every livery has a config file, and some other files, and to some it may seem intimidating. So something like, I'd love to make a livery but I don't program is a barrier to trying something that honestly isn't all that difficult. With a little practice even the most intimated artist can write a config file and make a livery. However some will never try. So I'm suggesting that those who are willing to share their knowledge to teach others how to do it might consider it.

So I discovered that Visual Studio code is a wonderful text editing program for scripting and making liveries. Some programs like DCS World won't let you use notepad, and require a text editing program like Visual Studio Code or Notepad++ to write a config file. The various configuration files ".cfg" are necessary for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 to take your art files and make them actual usable textures in the game. There are other files like the "manifest" file that are basically configuration files that the game uses to locate your art and place it in the right place. If they are set up wrong, the livery won't work. So learning how to make a whole package is key to doing this.

I am putting this out there because it has been my experience working with individuals who are artists (like myself) that some artists DO NOT CODE!!! That is not what I wanted to do as a graphic designer! So I get it but it's really super simple, and just like you learned how to make beautiful art, you can learn how to write and edit 32- 120 lines of simple code and how file paths work. I'm open to collaborating with anyone with knowledge who would like to share it with those who would like to learn by posting it here in these forms so we can get more cool liveries.

So Steam installed the new flap fix update after I adjusted my flaps to fix the issue caused from the England scenery update aka: update3.

After the update was installed, I went to go fly the Cessna Longitude, because I know I didn't change those flap settings manually. I also flew the Cessna 152 that I did change the settings on previously. I almost feel like the Longitude was a bit spongier then I remember, but it could just be me.

However I did notice that when you go into the aircraft config file even after the update, the flap settings I had changed were at the same values I had changed them too, to compensate for what happened with update 3. So if anyone else changed them and then installs the update remember to change them all back afterwards.

Takeoff and landing after flap fix patch

I'm going to side with jankees here and say I really only do liveries that interest me, even if nobody else would want them. However al the programs you need to make a livery are free, so if you really want something bad enough you can download GIMP, install the DDS plugin, and then get a nice text editing program like maybe Visual studio code and make one yourself. Who knows, you might even enjoy doing it.

One of the most frustrating things for some people can be learning the path to a file or folder. It actually intmidates some people to just give up. So if you're using Steam, and you want to use some of the awesome Liveries and scenery addons here is the path to your "Community" folder where you can place the items you downloaded after you unzip them.

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Community

"Username" is your username you use to log onto your computer. So you can copy that path above and replace "Username" with your computer username and paste it in the address bar of your file explorer window and hit enter, and you're where you need to be.

Thank you. So It works on most planes, but I went into the Cessna Longitude folder and the config file is an "FSARCHIVE File" not a .JSON file that you can edit with a text editor. There is another file that seems to have the information it's a config file, but I'm not so sure I feel comfy editing it right now, in the many places it will need editing. I know once I do edit it right it will solve the issue with the excessive drag when flaps are deployed, but if I'm not careful I could screw up the whole flight model and make it worse. I really really hope a fix is released really soon to correct the mistake they made somewhere.

I've helped many people become comfortable with exploring how to do more then basic things on their PC, so I'm not sure what your level of computer usage is but this stuff is pretty easy to do. I'm going to say it's time to get comfortable with making changes to files, unzipping compressed files, but once you do it a few times you should be able to get the hang of it.

I believe you'll have to install each of the three updates separately in order. It took some time to download and install two updates, for me one update was a couple of hours, but it fixes many issues with the graphics etc. Yes the flaps will be affected after update 3 and you will most likely have to install the 3rd party flap fix on the website to remedy this. About the "Community" folder; your community folder is where you put most upgrades like skin liveries, airports, and other enhancements you download from the site, after you "Un-Zip" them. For this you will need to download a program called "7 Zip."

I strongly recommend having another hard drive like an external hard drive ( or separate internal drive) to back up your community folder too once you start installing 3rd party upgrades, and I also usually scan them manually after downloading them with my own anti-virus software before "Un-Zipping" them. You have to unzip them because they are compressed files, and again 7-Zip is the best tool to use to do that.

Backing up your community folder is as simple as making a copy of the "Community" folder and placing that copy in a safe place elsewhere on another drive. The reason you should do this is that sometimes a third party add-on (file) might crash Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and having a back up to restore your Community folder back too it's working state usually solves that problem.

So update your Microsoft Flight Simulator to get rid of the ugly jagged terrain oddities in order starting with update one, then do the second update, then the third. After you install the updates read the section of this post on 7-zip that follows:

(or you can read it while Microsoft Flight Sim 2020 Updates (However DO NOT Install 7-ZIP WHILE Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 is updating)

Downloading 7-Zip

Then download 7-Zip from their website https://www.7-zip.org/ this is the link to their website. You most likely have a 64 bit version of Windows 10 so you probably want to download the 64 bit version. To check and see what version of Windows you have do the following steps:

1. Right click the start menu (AKA: Windows Icon on the bottom left corner of your screen")

2. Scroll up the pop up window that appears and select" System"

3. This should bring up the "Settings" pop-up window, and if you look in the device information section of that window you should see a section called "Device specifications" in the white portion on the lower right.

4. In the second picture I attached to this post (System info 2.png) the area in the red rectangle (in the picture) indicates if you have a 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows 10.

So now you know if you should download 32 bit or 64 bit versions of software, when asked.

If all of this seems overwhelming or if you already know this feel free to let me know.

Once you download your version of 7-zip navigate to the downloads folder and install it. Usually by double clicking it. To learn how to use 7-Zip visit this website: https://7ziphelp.com/how-to-use-7-zip

7-Zip will decompress the 3rd party add on flies you download from the Flightsim.to website so you can place that folder in your "Community" folder.

I'm happy to help you when I have time, if you've never made changes to your PC, it's easy to do you just have to get comfortable with it.

I noticed that my flaps have random issues after upgrading with the third upgrade. Sometimes They are in the full down position and won't go back up, sometimes it's the opposite, and usually restarting the game, or restarting my PC solves it. However I Got in the Cessna Longitude today and right before take off I thought the flaps weren't down 1 notch. I've flown this many times before any upgrades, and I didn't realize that I had deployed the flaps too far, and I kept hearing "LANDING GEAR, LANDING GEAR, LANDING GEAR,LANDING GEAR." So I adjusted the flaps and the annoying horn went away.

This is a two fold question. First of all isn't there a 3rd party fix for the flaps? Secondly the freaking horn never turns off even when you bind a button to make it shut up. I'm aware I'm slowing down, and I know I'm landing or I wouldn't have deployed my flaps, but the Beechcraft King Air is notorious for doing this in the game, and now the Cessna does it too. How do I fix both problems?

It would be nice to see more float planes. We have 3 so far but I'd like to see the 182 on floats, and maybe The Grand Caravan, and maybe the king air and Barron would be nice too.