Third Party Add-on Technical Issue- Taxiing/Taking Off/Landing

• When I'm taxiiing and slow down, the aircraft im piloting veers either to the left or right. It doesnt go straight. Could one confirm which .cfg file I edit and exactly which parameters I have to change to make taxiiing an enjoyable experience? I can send my config files if requested. This aircraft also has out of control drifting when taking off or landing. Any ideas on what to change? Thanks in advance for your support.

• First I'd suggest calibrating your joystick/yoke to make sure that you aren't doing the veering.

If that's OK, then I'd look at the settings in the sim that allow you to alter such things (see video below). There are a number of these, but I like this one the best:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

JohnG

From Oz, Flight Simmer since FS1 - seriously since FS95

Contributed to, and managed a site called ProjectAI for a time

• Why do you keep on talking about configuration files being the problem? Or the solution? The solution doesn't involve configuration files - it does involve settings in the sim.

JohnG

• @SkyyStorm Im flying the xfa-36a. It has an issue where you slow down, you literally have to fight with it so it doesnt veer to the left or right when taxiing as you slow down. Do you know which settings and where to alter them? Do you have an idea? This is not a wind condition. A configuration issue. The aircraft is still in development (beta stage) as well.

JohnG My joystick works pretty good. Ive switched configuration files from other aircraft with the xfa-36a as a test and it was more stable when inflight. I dont think joystick/yoke calibration will fix the issue.

• Ive done numerous tests in the past. I just need someone with development knowledge to guide me in the right direction. I think with what you have shown, the method applies a global setting which also isnt applicable to my described issue. This is something that needs to be configured for a particular aircraft.

• This video shows you how to create different yoke profiles for different planes, and assigning the one you want to use at flight time.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The actual sensitivity controls have changed since this was made, but I'm showing you this to show you how you can have one profile for one plane, and another for every other plane, for instance. Use the earlier videos to see how to actually set your controller up, but this one to show you how you assign a particular profile to a perticular airplane.

JohnG

• I prefer to manipulate configuration files. Thanks for your help though. Another thing is that modifying the joystick sensitivity/controls also affects mid-air flight. I still need the mid-air maneuverability as is mostly.

• @SkyyStorm Im flying the xfa-36a. It has an issue where you slow down, you literally have to fight with it so it doesnt veer to the left or right when taxiing as you slow down. Do you know which settings and where to alter them? Do you have an idea? This is not a wind condition. A configuration issue. The aircraft is still in development (beta stage) as well.

So I will start by noting that this is a beta (though I see there isn't even a cockpit, so probably more like alpha) add-on you are using, so of course there will be issues until the developer has fixed it. It might be a good idea to just wait for him/her to fix this, as any updates he does will overwrite anything you change manually.

They even have it under known issues:

Continue at own risk.

You are able to edit the steering via some of the contact points settings in the cfg file (flight_model.cfg) for the aircraft if I remember correctly. I checked some I remember. Either the castering is happening at too low a speed, or perhaps the rudder doesn't have enough ground steering control, which would imply the castering is at too a high speed. You'd have to experiment. There are loads of other settings that can cause drifting though, such as weight vs area, etc, so this might not fix your issue. I've never successfully edited those, its quite an art to get these right from scratch, especially if the plane is fictional, as then there's no references. But. Below some stuff you could play around with:

Under CONTACT_POINTS

- max_speed_full_steering

- max_speed_decreasing_steering

- min_available_steering_angle_pct

- max_speed_full_steering_castering

- max_speed_decreasing_steering_castering

You can also modify certain rudder-related options under FLIGHT_TUNING to like rudder_effectiveness, if you also have trouble steering at higher speeds.

However, this is a lot easier to modify when doing it via the Aircraft editor in MSFS, but for that you'd need the source files, but that is not included in the add on files, as the developer has that with them (cause they are developing the aircraft).

I'm sure the developer will get to this issue eventually, they are aware of it.

And lastly, note that though you can change it for yourself, if you want to upload these changes, get the author of the addon's permission first.

• I altered some settings already under CONTACT_POINTS before you posted.

max_speed_full_steering=10.4390493

max_speed_decreasing_steering = 25

max_speed_full_steering_castering = 10.43

max_speed_decreasing_steering_castering = 60

Seems to work without editing the castering angles. Borrowed some values from flight_model.cfg of an updated F15. Aircraft doesnt veer as much. However, ones ability to turn left or right when taxiing becomes hindered. So in this case, we need to find another way to make the aircraft turn left or right. How can we do such a thing? Increasing rudder parameters under FLIGHT_TUNING has some effect but increasing to much causes the aircraft to get stuck in the ground.

• I am unsure, you will have to experiment the outcomes of changes on that file. The max_speed_full_steering value decreases steering control on speeds higher than the setting.

At that point you would need to steer the plane with the rudder, but at lower speeds the rudder is less effective. So some balancing is required there and with the angle lock.

Honestly, I'm not a aircraft developer, so I can't be sure.

The developer of the aircraft will surely have more insight into this, as the weights and balance of the aircraft will also have impacts, such as the stuck in the ground issue. It is possible that the plane type is designed to be a bit harder to fly? But I don't know. Either way, the only advice I can offer is to experiment until you get the desired effect.