SU 5 compatibility

• Folks are not updating or at least checking out their add-ons to see if they are compatible after SU5. I really wish they would at least have a go with their app and change the delineation to green so we would not have to go through our own redundant efforts to be sure. All I see for older add-ons is a lot of red. The creators on the ball have updated theirs. Cheers.

MSFS 2020 Premium, Alienware Aurora R11; Intel Core i9-10900KF 3.7; RAM 128GB; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080

• I feel the same, and I've actually put a comment in a few favorites to ask whether they are likely to update soon, with mixed reactions.

Sooner or later, I suspect that there will need to be a "site inspired" cleanup - test and discard - for addons that appear now to be orphans. A pity, really, but a formal threat of doing that might just persuade a few developers to extract the digit and recompile their sceneries.

Just a thought. Perhaps if individuals decide that they don't want to update their mods, that any unrecompiled mod with more than, say, 100 downloads, be immediately turned into a new request. That should work for scenery and liveries, anyway. The existing, unrecompiled addon could be removed from the library as soon as someone takes up the challenge to redo the particular scenery.

Personally, there are very few that I wouldn't mind disappearing - mainly the ones where the official World Updates have surpassed the efforts of the modders, as they have in parts of London, New York, etc.

JohnG

From Oz, Flight Simmer since FS1 - seriously since FS95

Contributed to, and managed a site called ProjectAI for a time

• I've been asking creators of add-ons I want to keep using to check and fix it. Some have done it, but most either don't respond (answer or update) or one just told me I can test it out and tick it off as compliant. I'm not a fan of doing their work.

The stuff that causes issues should be removed, I agree. Again, it depends on each creator.

MSFS 2020 Premium, Alienware Aurora R11; Intel Core i9-10900KF 3.7; RAM 128GB; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080

• I've been asking creators of add-ons I want to keep using to check and fix it. Some have done it, but most either don't respond (answer or update) or one just told me I can test it out and tick it off as compliant. I'm not a fan of doing their work.

The stuff that causes issues should be removed, I agree. Again, it depends on each creator.

Just a minute jvotiz56. It's not "their work". It's something that they've made for US, and yes, every one that isn't compliant needs to be made compliant, and I think that it's up to us, the recipients of this largess, to help the developers (and ourselves) here.

I've just put a response on this thread: RE: MSFS 2020 and Update 5 with a suggestion as to how WE might deal with this problem.

Just one addition to that - if this initiative discovers many that are working, how about a similar thread for those addons that are not working, so that we can go back to those developers and ask them whether they are likely to update them, or should they be taken down? THAT would put the onus on the developers - not us, but form a positive and well communicated path towards getting the addons either updated, or deleted.

JohnG

• Hi Folks,

Often navigating through this awesome website for addons and following your discussion above: would it be possible to have a "Last SU compatible" filter based on the "Compatibility with Sim Update 5 has been confirmed." flag ?

Not so hard to implement I guess and very useful to stop wasting time by clicking on not updated mods.

In my case I no longer want to go with them.

Cheers

Vianney

• I'm not really sure why they added the humongous SU5 banner to scenery files. I can't think of a single one that was broken by it. It just makes downloaders a bit nervous and scenery makers a bit annoyed.

It's always the world updates that kill my mods.

It was a different case for aircraft.

If they had implemented the LODs like they did for the Xbox 90-95% of scenery mods here would've been made instantly useless. Which is maybe why they didn't do it.

• Are you suggesting that none of the scenery and libraries for scenery were busted by SU 5? If so, that would be excellent news indeed.

I've been hearing anecdotal news to this effect now for a couple of days, now, but you're the first one to come out and state that scenery is not an issue.

You are suggesting that aircraft are affected??

How about other non-scenery addons, such as utilities that directly interface with the sim?

What about aircraft liveries? Do they count as "scenery"? Or are they still impacted?

And what percentage of the scenery resources here have you tested?

Oh, and the GOOD news in this is that I now know that I can load superspud's addons with no worries about adverse reactions, and superspud, yours are some of the very best addons that I've seen!

JohnG

• I am indeed. I can't think of one that's been broken by it. A lot of developers have been complaining about their processes being broken, but not the existing outputs.

My sample size might be piddling but I probably have enough of it to notice. Like I said if the Xbox LOD thing had been forced on PC most mods here would be instantly useless and most would be abandoned, but they decided not to do it at the very last moment.

Many an aircraft on the other hand was broken by it. The payware developers had to motor to get them working again. Not sure about the freeware aircraft.

• I've had several sceneries stop flight loading dead in its tracks until I removed them and asked/begged designers to update or at least test their current sceneries for compatibility. Some, as Superspud , have done a great job and I have not had issues with the changes. But I felt it necessary to remove all sceneries installed prior to August 3 (using the date and the dates on new uploads and started re-adding when I saw they were updated - the greenbar, or actually update content or, because I liked it so much, tested it myself.

The green bar and my slow testing has helped me avoid any more hanging or ctds - actually, I've not had a ctd except for when I was changing too many scenerios in one session, but I've done that before.

I wanted to propose this idea as well. Glad to see a colleague in agreement.

• Like I said if the Xbox LOD thing had been forced on PC most mods here would be instantly useless and most would be abandoned, but they decided not to do it at the very last moment.

Thank you, superspud. I think what you've said clears up a lot in my mind.

So, if it is ONLY LODs that are going to cause problems, then anything that doesn't/couldn't use LODs (such as excel templates, addon managers, and the like - perhaps including many of the tools that we use in aircraft (and the ubiquitous coffee cups - aren't bombed by SU 5?)

I suppose that it's POSSIBLE that some sceneries MIGHT use LODs in some way (? I'm thinking perhaps of cooling towers that have been modeled to be seen from a distance, for instance), but we still need to (I think) compile a list of pre-July 29th - updated sceneries that we've tested, and found to be OK. What do you think? I'll head the list of sceneries with superspud's - that is, if you guys agree that this is the way to do it. (I'd much prefer if one of the Mods gave the go ahead...

JohnG

• LODs are not currently a problem because they haven't implemented them for PC. There is no SU5 issue with them. There certainly would've been if they'd been put in place.

If they do do it then I will guess 90% or more of mods here with any 3d models will become vanishfests as most developers haven't bothered using multiple LODs as one has always worked fine. Including me.

Judging by Asobo's LOD models, which have been put in place with SU5, the LOD 0 model disappears from view within a handful of metres even for the big stuff. If you don't have more LOD models beyond the prime one no one sees anything.

Speaking for myself if LODs are forced on PC then I'll delete any mod with more than a handful of 3d models. I would need to remake over a thousand models. I can think of considerably better things to do with whatever time I have left on Earth than that.