Checking Mods after a major System Update

• There are 8 images in this thread, and, using them, I’m going to try to show you how to make sure that you have all working updates after a major System Upgrade – in this case, SU 5.

There are a number of steps involved in this process, and I’ll try to describe them as well as I can.

Step 1 is on your Flight Sim PC, so doesn’t have an image in this thread.

Make a complete backup of your Community Folder, put it somewhere safe, and delete (yes, delete) the Community folder. I won’t try to explain where that is – you should know where your own Community Folder is if you’ve been adding Mods (Addons). Flight Sim will recreate it, brand new and empty, the next time you run Flight Sim.

Note, numbers in circles in the image are shown here as numbers in round brackets (0)

Step 2 – log in to flightsim.to

Step 3 – looking at Image 1, locate your avatar at the top R.H. corner of the screen (1), click on it to display your personal menu.

Step 4 – (Image 1) – click on My Downloads link (2)

Step 5 – (Image 2) – Download all pending new versions that you see here (3). Don’t miss this out – if you do, you’ll mess up at a later stage. If there are downloads there that you no longer require (not just because they don’t work, but because you no longer want them) delete them using the rubbish bin image. This will make sure that these Mods at least are up to date.

Step 6 – (Image 3) – Click on Sorting and select Last Updated (4). Next click on Up-to-date (5). You’ll be presented with a list of all your updates, sorted by the last update date (Image 4), sorted by Last Updated Date (see pointer on image 4)

Step 7 – (Image 5) – Scroll down to the earliest Mod that may have been updated to make it compatible with the update. A reasonable guess here is on or about the date when the SU was implemented. In my case, the first compatible update was on 29 July, and it was an update to the US Airport Layout Enhancement Package (6), which was uploaded on the 29th of July – the one below was last uploaded on the 28th of July. If you have any doubts whether a Mod is compatible or not, look for the green or red bars (Images 6 and 7) in any Mod you have doubt about. This bar will be fairly high up in the Mod’s page (Image 9).

Step 8 – Once your Community folder has been reinstated, put back any of the Mods that were updated since the (6), and leave the rest behind.

Step 9 – Keep returning to Step 1 and Step 2, and download each Compatible Mod as it turns up.

And that’s it.

To clean up a couple of issues – as you can’t print off this list in any sensible way (without using up megapages of paper), I find it actually easier to highlight the whole list, and copy/paste into Word. This allows you to work off line with the data – not the prettiest, but if you want to take the next step and build a piece of VBA to do it, you can turn it into a Tab Separated Variables (TSV) file, drop it into a table (in word), and export the resultant table into Excel, where you can do all sorts of wonderful stuff to it.

Good luck, and if you have any issues with the method I’ve described, or if you can see an easier way to get to the same conclusion, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

And if I get enough support to make it worth while, I might even put my VBA code as a Mod for all to use. (It would be much better if the whole downloaded Mod structure could be dropped straight into an Excel spreadsheet, but that hasn’t resonated with the troops as of yet – I think it may be in their “not worth doing” basket, and that’s why I did it myself.

JohnG

From Oz, Flight Simmer since FS1 - seriously since FS95

Contributed to, and managed a site called ProjectAI for a time