Disc or digital?

• So, after securing a 3090 FE this week, it'll soon be time to complete my pc build and start flying!

The question I have is, what's the best option for the game? I've read that you always have disc 1 running if you buy disc, how about the digital version? Does it solely rely on the Internet connection to run?

However, I don't actually have a disc drive in my pc currently, just 2 nand m2 ssds and a 2.5 ssd, all of which are 1TB.

Any information will be appreciated!

• Depends on where you live. Some Countries have access to the disc version, others are internet only. Countries that are internet only rely on a good internet connection, as well as the servers being up and running. And yes, they do go offline quite a bit.

• Hi there Marine1, thanks for the reply - I'm in the UK, with supposedly a good Internet speed through my provider, although we all know what's quoted is not what you get...!

So what would your opinion be from both options being available to me?

I personally like the digital option, with no disc spinning in the background.

Still open to opinion though.

• If you'd like to "suck it and see", you can use an Xbox account to get the whole of the sim for just $1 per month, by download, for your PC, so if you don't think that you'll be using MSFS2020 in however it would take to pay off for the Sim in $1 tranches, you could try it out, and if you like it, keep paying the $1. If you'd prefer something different, just stop paying the $!.

JohnG

From Oz, Flight Simmer since FS1 - seriously since FS95

Contributed to, and managed a site called ProjectAI for a time

• MSFS also downloads the scenery from the internet, so you most likely need an internet connection anyway I think?

I could be wrong though, the discs might have all the data loaded.

Regardless, you'll certainly need good internet access for (a) Downloading updates (about weekly at the moment) (b) Downloading addons (from here, for instance) (c) to run the sim (it uses 2 Petabytes of data for the whole world, and there is just no way that the average (or even the top end) PC could manage that much data storage, so you will be constantly downloading data while you're flying (see the minimum requirements from Microsoft/Asobo - it spells out just how much internet access you will need.

• MSFS also downloads the scenery from the internet, so you most likely need an internet connection anyway I think?

I could be wrong though, the discs might have all the data loaded.

Thanks for your reply Skyystorm!

Indeed, I've probably already downloaded half of the site here in preparation of getting MFS 2020, but continued updates will of course require internet.

I'd assume the disc comes as a set standard, probably all encoded as a default. Bug ridden!

• If you'd like to "suck it and see", you can use an Xbox account to get the whole of the sim for just $1 per month, by download, for your PC, so if you don't think that you'll be using MSFS2020 in however it would take to pay off for the Sim in $1 tranches, you could try it out, and if you like it, keep paying the $1. If you'd prefer something different, just stop paying the $!.

Interesting point John - thanks for your reply too, I'm a Sony guy, but I did hear something about that, as it also goes to Gamepass as well?

Regarding your second point, I did check the chart out previously, that's why I've got 32gb 3600mhz, a 5950x and a 3090 coming tomorrow, so I've gone big!

I believe the download is available around £75, the disc is £110, both as Premium editions which I'm more than likely to choose.

• Interesting point John - thanks for your reply too, I'm a Sony guy, but I did hear something about that, as it also goes to Gamepass as well?

Regarding your second point, I did check the chart out previously, that's why I've got 32gb 3600mhz, a 5950x and a 3090 coming tomorrow, so I've gone big!

I believe the download is available around £75, the disc is £110, both as Premium editions which I'm more than likely to choose.

So you could run the gamepass version for years before it became more expensive than buying it outright!

JohnG

• I honestly don't know how the disc version works for flying and updates. That said, I don't know if you still need an internet connection to fly if you buy the discs. Mine is digital/internet, and I hate it. I would love it if it was like FS2004/FSX where you can install the game on a hard drive and play it at will. With the digital/internet version, you are tied to having a good internet connection and them having their servers up and running. If your internet is down, or the servers are down, you can't fly.... period!!

• So you could run the gamepass version for years before it became more expensive than buying it outright!

Very true John, but then you're at the mercy of Microsoft, and of course they could change or withdraw this plan at any point.

So maybe I'm leaning towards a paid in full download edition. But I'd have to ask about what happens if any failure occurs, can I recover my download key to go again...?

• I honestly don't know how the disc version works for flying and updates. That said, I don't know if you still need an internet connection to fly if you buy the discs. Mine is digital/internet, and I hate it. I would love it if it was like FS2004/FSX where you can install the game on a hard drive and play it at will. With the digital/internet version, you are tied to having a good internet connection and them having their servers up and running. If your internet is down, or the servers are down, you can't fly.... period!!

I believe you require an internet connection to play the game regardless.

...Which is utter horse poo...!

10 discs make up the disc version, and 10 discs are required to install the data, and you do need disc 1 in your drive to play the game (probably spins up from time to time?) from what I've read. As mentioned, internet for updates is again required to solve the issues that may arise, also regardless of what version.

• I believe you require an internet connection to play the game regardless.

...Which is utter horse poo...!

10 discs make up the disc version, and 10 discs are required to install the data, and you do need disc 1 in your drive to play the game (probably spins up from time to time?) from what I've read. As mentioned, internet for updates is again required to solve the issues that may arise, also regardless of what version.

10 DVDs don't go anywhere near to containing the whole world data, which occupies 2 petabytes (a lot, in case to don't know what a petabyte was). 10 double sided DVDs will give you just 80.5 Gigs. If you have lots of data storage on your PC that you don't want to use for anything else, you can fill it up with locally cached data, so provided you only want to fly locally around one airport, you could manage without a high speed internet connection.

Very true John, but then you're at the mercy of Microsoft, and of course they could change or withdraw this plan at any point.

So maybe I'm leaning towards a paid in full download edition. But I'd have to ask about what happens if any failure occurs, can I recover my download key to go again...?

Even if they do change their policy, if you go for the month by month rental, you will only need to worry about going to the disks or the download version if they should change their policy. However, your Game Pass gives you access to nearly all Xbox software for that $1 a month, and a lot of that it also available for the PC.

As for your key, it's part of your Microsoft account, and if you delete it from your PC, it is still owned, and you can put it back on your PC, put it back onto a new SSD, or put it on a different PC, but only one at a time, of course.

JohnG

• It's freaking stupid the way it is set up! Give me the discs, let me fly. What is so hard about that? I don't need all the eye candy, I do like it. But the game is that, a game. It is nowhere close to being a simulator. John G, do you post, just to post?

• It's freaking stupid the way it is set up! Give me the discs, let me fly. What is so hard about that? I don't need all the eye candy, I do like it. But the game is that, a game. It is nowhere close to being a simulator. John G, do you post, just to post?

Sorry mate, I thought you were after information - not just here to let fly with your frustrations. You want something that works straight off the disks? Go somewhere else, because this one doesn't.

BTW, you're lucky to have the disk option - most of us don't.

And in case you haven't seen the Minimum Requirements, here they are:

This is what they've been from the start, and no amount of moaning about them will make them change to suit you.

Have a nice day.

JohnG

Guess it's called simulator for a reason though, what option have you chose? Disc or digital?

I agree, it'd be nice to plug and play but as John says, the data contained to give you the landscape is immense seemingly.

And just for the record, John us providing me with good information, as I haven't yet chosen which way I'm going in acquiring the game.

• 10 DVDs don't go anywhere near to containing the whole world data, which occupies 2 petabytes (a lot, in case to don't know what a petabyte was). 10 double sided DVDs will give you just 80.5 Gigs. If you have lots of data storage on your PC that you don't want to use for anything else, you can fill it up with locally cached data, so provided you only want to fly locally around one airport, you could manage without a high speed internet connection.

Even if they do change their policy, if you go for the month by month rental, you will only need to worry about going to the disks or the download version if they should change their policy. However, your Game Pass gives you access to nearly all Xbox software for that $1 a month, and a lot of that it also available for the PC.

As for your key, it's part of your Microsoft account, and if you delete it from your PC, it is still owned, and you can put it back on your PC, put it back onto a new SSD, or put it on a different PC, but only one at a time, of course.

That's very helpful, didn't know I needed a Microsoft account, makes sense though as opposed to a vendor selling a code and it's a one time download, and with the add ons here as an example, you will end up downloading so much in the way of amended airports and scenery, with aircraft clocking up data too. Upgrading SSD's is probable for some who have many games already, and swapping from old to new.

I am aware Gamepass offers you download and cloud services for the XBox Series machines, and pc games too, although I'd never have time to make use of that, maybe for a £1 monthly charge for this game alone, it could work out well for quite a while...

• I'm 100% digital. But I have to side with ToyneFire a bit. I'd like to have discs so that if the servers are down I can still fly. If they are down, or my internet is down, I can't fly. It sucks mostly as a developer. Checking your paints and you can't fly, puts it off a few hours to a day.

I have my own opinion on game/simulator, that I'll keep to myself. As for min specs, I kill all of them. My internet speed is above 750mbs.

• I'm 100% digital. But I have to side with ToyneFire a bit. I'd like to have discs so that if the servers are down I can still fly. If they are down, or my internet is down, I can't fly. It sucks mostly as a developer. Checking your paints and you can't fly, puts it off a few hours to a day.

I have my own opinion on game/simulator, that I'll keep to myself. As for min specs, I kill all of them. My internet speed is above 750mbs.

I totally get his point, it'd be great to chuck a disc in and just get on with it. Mostly that's what I do, I have both PS5 variants, the digital is pretty much gonna be just for Gran Turismo 7, in a shed, with a race seat hopefully, so no disc spinning and maybe a YouTuber is born!

But I'm mostly against going all digital as an industry, can't take my game to a friends house, gotta take the whole machine, no second hand market, etc...

Where are you in the world with such a great speed?

You CAN still fly, but only in cached areas. You can specify which area/areas you want to store downloaded on your HDD/SSD, and provided they aren't too huge, you can fly them with the servers down.

JohnG