Captain Sim trying to sue creators???

• Hey guys @Flightsim.to I just want to say you really do NOT have to remove the liveries even with the legal takedown notice. From what I have read and gathered from

other sources they do not have a leg to stand on, I am studying law and all I can see here is THEY (captain sim) is trying to stop you guys from from reaping the benefits

and traffic on your site rather than theirs. The liveries belong to the MODDERS nobody else, and of course if they wish to release them here and with or without a fee then

they are entitled to do so. The modders can NOT be bullied nor have their work removed due to a take down notice on something that is owned by themselves unless it is

of course a flipped model/skin etc. Captain sim are in the wrong and you have every right to keep the liveries on your site and only if the modders (authors of those liveries)

themselves wish for them to be removed then this has to be respected obviously. The modders own the rights to these liveries, no one else, not you nor I and absolutely not

Captain sim either. All I can say is "what a selfish act Captain Sim has done and shame on him and their brand for doing such, this of course is only going to hurt them and

their sales".

Keep doing what you do best Flightsim.to and be strong against bullies like Captain Sim.

<3

• The stupidity on their part is that (I suspect) the traffic to Flightsim.to is much greater than that to CaptainSim, and by forbidding Flightsim.to from hosting 3rd party liveries, they are actually likely to limit their model sales by eliminating the possibility of casual browsers seeing one of the liveries here, convincing themselves that they want to actually buy the model, and heading over to CaptainSim, credit card in hand. As for them owning copyright to all repaints loaded to their site, I'm looking forward to the day that some nefarious person loads someone ELSE's repaint there, and CaptainSim tries to enforce its copyright threat. If they fought to hold on to the repaint, they'd end up with nothing but legal bills, and without the repaint, and that would do their reputation even more damage!

Don't do it guys -they aren't worth harassing this way, and our repainters don't need the hassle. But still...

JohnG

From Oz, Flight Simmer since FS1 - seriously since FS95

Contributed to, and managed a site called ProjectAI for a time

• Am I right in believing that the said claimants product is not entirely, exclusively manufactured? I of course am not aware of the deal this claimant my or may not have with Asobo but I suspect there will be an end to this story pretty soon!

• I’d imagine CS don’t have a leg to stand on, however nonetheless it’s far easier to comply with a DMCA request than worry about potential legal action

CS have really messed up and from checking a lot of places they’re already starting to feel the effects of it all

CS literally copied a planes interior and now they’re trying to stop creators (who, make no profit from these) make their own liveries. It’s stupid, selfish and plain dumb

Never buying a CS product again :)

More to the point though, I doubt they can claim copyright over someone else’s work, whether it says it in terms or not; given CS hasn’t been given explicit written permission by a hypothetical creator to use the hypothetical work

Rip CS’s PR I guess

• A wrong decision by Captain Sim. Many of the users didn't know the Captain Sim 777 before and only became aware of it through the repaints. It was free advertising for Captain Sim. But if you look at the poor quality of the plane, then you realize a lot. Absolutely incompetent!

• Capsim needs to apologize to asobo for stealing the cockpit from the 747 in MSFS and selling it in there 777, from all the reviews on youtube of cs777 it shows wrong # of engines and all info is same as asobo"s 747. When a freeware plane aliases a cockpit to one of their planes at least they give credit to the maker.

Has anyone that got the 777 looked at the panel config file in it to see if it is aliased to 747 or just copied the coding and called it theirs.

I don't think I'll be doing any $$ with CS .

• I had bought the CS777 form Captain Sim. Have removed it now from my MSFS due to this idiotic stance of them. Eventhough I have bought lots of their products in the past I will never do so again. I think they might need to reconsider their marketing strategy. I will not go back to them for any further custom. Good luck all you creative spirits out there, don't let those money hungry CaptainSim'ers refrain you in your creativity. Looking forward to your great work when next aircraft come out form normal designers :-).

• Apologies do not help in a Community that is giving talent and time for free to us.

I will never buy any of their products again, I owe them all but stopped using CS planes long before moving to x-plane.

• The liveries belong to the MODDERS nobody else, and of course if they wish to release them here and with or without a fee then

they are entitled to do so.

<3

I'm totaly in favor of modded skins,even doing some skinning myself but i'm also an artist;photographer.

and as sush i've learned something that could be used against CS,namely that a work of art,in any form,remains the property of the owner and may not be changed or sold for any kind of profit,not in it's original form,not after being edited,without permission of the (original) owner.

so,are we,modders,owner after buying a sim,of all it's content(skins...) or not?that one is easy to answer;we are.

do we have permission to change a skin(work of art) to our wishes?again the answer is Yes!

So where could CS try to call modders to halt?verry simple;when mods of any kind and without permission of the original owner-artist are used to make profit.

the bottom line is that you can mod as much as you want as long as you do it for free.

there is although one point where CS wins the game:"reproductions,in any form,of an artwork may are not to be made public,not in it's original form or edited.not for free and not at paying platforms(off- or on-line)."

but i think that an organisation in this branche that uses it's brains should welcome any form of promoting their product trough making it look better like modders do..

• I'm totaly in favor of modded skins,even doing some skinning myself but i'm also an artist;photographer.

and as sush i've learned something that could be used against CS,namely that a work of art,in any form,remains the property of the owner and may not be changed or sold for any kind of profit,not in it's original form,not after being edited,without permission of the (original) owner.

Even a simple airplane skin repaint for a model used in a sim falls under the copyright laws all over the world. It's theft of intellectual property to take it without permission and posting it somewhere else without permission, and I'm quite sure that by now Captain Sim realizes that this is the case, and that they have/will cease and desist in their stupid efforts to frighten developers / artists. They may never see another freely developed skin for any of their products by this decision, but they will be getting what they deserve!

JohnG

From Oz, Flight Simmer since FS1 - seriously since FS95

Contributed to, and managed a site called ProjectAI for a time