How long is yours? Load time.

• Well on an SSD with an i9 whatever and 2080Ti and 32 gig RAM, I'm getting 18 minutes. And thats so far! I dread to think where I'll be in 5 years. Probably double click on the wednesday for a session on the saturday. Its like having a commodore 64 multi-tape game!

Anyone else be bothered to time it? It did make me laugh when I had a phone call as I double-clicked it and ended the call pretty much as the menu appeared, and that call was 18 mins 5 seconds ^^ :D

Also hi, you creators are truly incredible people. Thank you. In the days where it seems like no one'll ever fly again, this site transforms my life.

• Thats what I did. For about 2 months I was adding close to every add on that was coming out. Needless to say it crushed my load time so now I am very selective on what I have in the community folder. Also it maybe a pain but if I know what area I am flying in that day I have made up folders that I can drop into the community folder instead of loading everything for the whole world and not using even half of it on that flight.

• I also had some problems a few weeks ago. Somehow the FS did not load further. Was something with an update. No idea, just did not start. Then I contacted MS support. One of them was nice enough to fix it remotely. It's just an idea.

• There are several addon managers available on this site. I know that at least one of them allows you to just load the mods that you will need for your next flight, then launch MSFS for you. That way, NOTHING goes into your Community folder until you mark it as required, and once the flight is over, it's quite easy to remove that set, and replace it with another. Of course, you will want some global mods all the time, and that is also possible with at least one of the managers capable of doing this.

JohnG

From Oz, Flight Simmer since FS1 - seriously since FS95

Contributed to, and managed a site called ProjectAI for a time

• I heard there was something done by Asobo to speed it up, but I also did as JohnG above said with MSFS Addonslinker. Sim starts up as fast as it did when I first got it, mod free. I just tick the scenery, mods, and liveries I need for a given flight. All the other hundreds of addons are not ticked.

MSFS 2020 Premium, Alienware Aurora R11; Intel Core i9-10900KF 3.7; RAM 128GB; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080

• Yes it does. That's why using an addon manager allows you to manage just which addons you load before each flight sim session. About the ONLY addons you want all the time are those that represent mods to large areas of the earth's surface, such as generic airport fixes, and three height shorteners, and ship AI (if you've got it.

Why would you want to load several gigabytes of data pertaining to, say, North America and Europe, when you are only flying in South Africa. Same with freebie planes. Why load that A32SX when you are going to fly a single engine bush trip? Because every time you load MSFS2020, you load ALL the addons in the Community folder, along with ALL the addons in Asobo's addon folders. An addon manager can't stop Asobo Addons from being loaded, but perhaps a suggestion for their addons to be left unloaded when firing up flight sim may be a useful thought. I might just propose it.

JohnG

• I5 9something. 8gb ram SSD 256. about 3-4 minutes. I think people underestimate the need to have a fast internet connection (mine 50mbps) but most importantly a decent router with fast throughput.

• My router is a Fritz!box 7490, which I understand is quite a good one.

Pardon me if I'm wrong - Good old Colonel Dare. You should download a picture and use that. I've used it, and the Mekon in various places.

JohnG

• Yes it does. That's why using an addon manager allows you to manage just which addons you load before each flight sim session. About the ONLY addons you want all the time are those that represent mods to large areas of the earth's surface, such as generic airport fixes, and three height shorteners, and ship AI (if you've got it.

Why would you want to load several gigabytes of data pertaining to, say, North America and Europe, when you are only flying in South Africa. Same with freebie planes. Why load that A32SX when you are going to fly a single engine bush trip? Because every time you load MSFS2020, you load ALL the addons in the Community folder, along with ALL the addons in Asobo's addon folders. An addon manager can't stop Asobo Addons from being loaded, but perhaps a suggestion for their addons to be left unloaded when firing up flight sim may be a useful thought. I might just propose it.

Huh, okay. I didn't realize it affects the load times like that. I tend to have many of the liveries installed so that planes that are shown to me on Vatsim/multiplayer matches the ones used by other pilots. As for sceneries, I supposed that could work for now.. I'll check out the mod managers again, some time ago when I did, the one I looked at was very hard to figure out.

• Huh, okay. I didn't realize it affects the load times like that. I tend to have many of the liveries installed so that planes that are shown to me on Vatsim/multiplayer matches the ones used by other pilots. As for sceneries, I supposed that could work for now.. I'll check out the mod managers again, some time ago when I did, the one I looked at was very hard to figure out.

That's why I concentrated on the one with the written user guide. And if you have any suggestions to Shay to add information, or to change it to more clearly show you how to use it, he's very appreciative of positive feedback and suggestions.

JohnG

• [email protected]

32 gig 3866mhz DDR4

Having 64 gig of Data in my community folder resulted in a 16 minutes load time. However, I did notice that there are 2 times in which the loading of the sim stalls, presumable loading or reading the community folder. So I timed the stalls and sure enough there almost identical. I'm not sure but I have a strong indication that the community folder is being read twice. I have submitted a zed desk ticket with the following for them to look at. "This could easily be overlooked and or even missed if there is no data in the community folder. In fact you would never know it was read twice. So ask yourselves this question: Is the community folder being read twice? Put some data in it and test it out." If it only needs to be read only once then fixing it would result in a 50% increase in load times when large amounts of data is present in the community folder.

Cheers

PACO572

• I was having issues changing the Community folder to somewhere (due to stupid Win10 Admin rules). I managed to clear 130 gig on my SSD (bye bye Cyperpunk! Yay!) which is too much of a coincidence since my load times (Community folder still on C:) have now gone right down to 4 minutes, double-click to load flight, so could finally use the default Community folder on c: for any addons.

I'm assuming theres a direct link between space left on drive, with loading times. Would make sense really: if I was looking for certain items in a cluttered room, I'd find them an awful lot quicker in a much emptier room. I'm assuming Win10 also and all hard drives work like that. I knew I had a bottleneck somewhere!

Had the domino effect of cutting my caffeine down as I dont have to double-click then go off and have coffee and still not have reached the what is now the Paris screen!

Thanks for the feedback and help peeps, really appreciated! :thumbup: :)

• Yeah this wouldn't be helping me either, thr 80 gig mods!! :D