Srinivasman KLGA Scenery Malfunction

• I recently downloaded this developer's scenery for KGLA, which also represented that it would improve the poor default bridges. But after the install, things were MUCH worse. Not only had the bridge superstructures disappears, but so had the new World Trade tower and many other familiar landmarks that were there in the default. (BTW, several other products from this developer have worked just fine!)

So I shut down the sim and deleted the DL from my Community folder. But when I reopened, it was just the same! I guess the install deleted some elements of the default, but deleting the new files from the DL did not restore the default.

How can I restore the default without a complete reinstall of the sim?

Mac6737

:?::cursing:

• Excellent idea. Trouble is, the download contains no contact info.

Also, I can't locate the file on flightsim.to, because there are 700 or so airport upgrades. This one was of KLGA, but the "Search" button on the site is inoperative, at least for me. If you need to do something more than typing the phrase in the box and clicking on the magnifying glass, I don't know what it could be,

• Thank you, Albert. I have left 2 messages on the developer's page on this site. No reply.

I'm perplexed by how you found KLGA. The search function doesn't work for me, and KLGA does not show up in the alphabetical list of "International Airports."

• If you did a store install and moved MSFS2020 to another drive it should be no problem to delete the MOD file in the Community folder with the name: srinivasman-klga (unpacked from original zip file).

When you install a MOD file in only the community folder your default scenery files will not be affected. The contents of a MOD just overrule the default. For instance in this particular MOD I see a KLGApolys.BGL which contains the exclusion made with polygons. It most likely contains several polygons that excluded default areas (bridges, standard airport, buildings or even trees and bushes) and other files will be used to inject the scenery made by the creator. As soon you delete a previously installed MOD folder in the Community folder, the default scenery should work again.

Did you do an install MSFS2020 to a custom location? Steam or Store install?

MSFS2020 Patches can conflict with MODS you have installed. That's why you have to make a backup of the communityfolder first and have an empty communityfolder before running the patch. To be clear ... one of the issues with the community folder is that mods often overwrite the base code with a nearly identical copy with a few tweaks. The problem is if a patch then modifies the base code that mod will overwrite it with an older version which may not be compatible with changes elsewhere in the game.

So yes, emptying the community folder is good BUT you should then only put back mods and addons that are known to be compatible with the current patch.

Advise when they release a new patch:

Before the update so that it is not broken

• delete the ROLLINGCACHE.CCC directly in MSFS Options > General > Data Scroll down to Rolling Cache Settings to delete
    • delete the MANUALCACHE.CCC in Windows Explorer
    • delete the community folder (do not forget backup)
    • disable the developer mode (if switched on)
    • delete under: C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator all Files except subfolders
    • delete under: C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\FlightSimulator all Files

After Update

• On all settings pages > reset all settings to Default (on all settings pages & at the bottom of each page)
    • Restart MSFS
    • Adjust everything according to your own wishes incl. creating new ROLLINGCACHE.CCC and MANUALCACHE.CCC
    • Check MFS Ingame Content Manager for updates
    • Restart MSFS
    • Ready

AxeV

• Albert,

You don't sound like a Newbie.

This was an install from MS Store done with a Gift Voucher. (This was a birthday present; I would have preferred to wait at least 6 months -- and I was right.)

I understand your first paragraph. Of course "the default scenery should work again," but in this case it did not. I deleted the KLGA package from Community right away.

But I believe your third paragraph is getting to the heart of the problem. I did not mention this before, but here's the order in which things happened on Jan. 8:

1. With the sim closed, I downloaded the KGLA package and put it in Community.

2. Booted up the sim: Mandatory Update! At this point, I don't believe the user has any choice. Click Continue, and the update self-installs.

3. Went to KGLA and took off to find the deficiencies noted.

So, maybe when the sim fully loaded, it took the package from Community, but the package was incompatible with the scenery as it stood after the update. Do you think? If, so, maybe there's a .BGL somewhere that is preventing the default from displaying.

I don't understand your advice about a new patch (in addition to its being horrendously complex and surely above my pay grade). I have never known when they release a new patch. The user finds out when he boots up the sim, and I don't believe he can proceed without first installing the new patch.

I really appreciate your taking time with this.

• I can imagine that the advice is complicated, but as long as MSFS2020 (Asobo) doesn't change the behavior of the files placed in the community folder we are forced to use workarounds to prevent MSFS2020 from getting conflicts with default scenery as soon as a patch is released. Also, I didn't create this workaround myself but googled for problems that are MOD-related, and since I couldn't find a similar case as you described I had to come up with ideas that maybe could be effective to solve your MOD issue.

What to check first when having MOD problems that might have been caused by file structure problems: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/community-folder-community-addons-not-loaded/28522 Not that your MODS don't load but it describes also file structure problems with the community folder. ers\fabri\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community:\Users\fabri\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community

As for the next patch release, a bit of easier advice would be:

- As soon as the sim is started and you notice there is a mandatory update, don't click continue but close the sim (even when you have to force to close the sim by ending this task).

- When the sim isn't running anymore, then first make a backup of your community folder and then be sure to clear the original community folder.

- Start the sim again and run the mandatory patch release.

- Quit the sim after running the update

- Rename the backup community folder to 'Community' folder again which should overwrite the empty one. If you then have a conflict with MODS the only thing you can do is to find out which MOD causes a conflict and remove it (trial-error method).

But...... of course, I can't promise this will solve the problem you already have. Probably the only way to solve this is to do a clean reinstall MSFS2020 (don't forget to backup your community folder before reinstalling the sim :-( ) Be sure that the conflicting MOD isn't in there of course. This backup community folder then can be used to overwrite the 'new' empty one after running the mandatory patch.

Maybe there is a better way to solve these MOD conflicting problems after patches but I couldn't find them.

• Since yesterday, I have determined that none of the BGL files in the KGLA download is copied anywhere in MSFS, so that wasn't the problem. (No, the DL is not in Community.)

I don't know how to do a "clean reinstall, " but maybe I have to learn. As I said, I received MSFS as a birthday present via a Gift Voucher. When I tried to redeem it, the MS Store said it was "expired." I knew that was untrue, so i went to tech support. First try, I received completely erroneous info from MS. Second try, a different operator properly shunted me to Xbox, whose excellent agent spent 40 minutes talking me through the install. I recount this here because it demonstrates that this software was never ready for release last August.

If I uninstalled now, I have no idea how to reinstall. Folks on forums have advised me to "download from the same account used to purchase the sim," which is impossible, since it is not my account and is not on my computer.

Probably best to leave things as they are for now. And BTW, I never received a reply or even an acknowledgement from "srinivasman," after leaving a message on the flightsim.to link and on her Reddit page, as well as this thread and a similar thread on Flightsim.com.

• Yeah, I had already looked at that. Maybe some day.

I have zero confidence that I would ever be able to reinstall without buying it all over again for my own account. Once you uninstall, you are at their mercy.