Mercer Airfield New Zealand

• I just downloaded the Mercer Airfield which is located south of Auckland in New Zealand. I am intimately familiar with this Airfield as I used to fly RC planes there.

The creator has done a good job of building placement etc. It looks like he has used default buildings from the sim. This means the detail is saddly lacking. I like the way he built the bridge over the stream which Allows access to the original hanger complex. This is the most important element of Mercer.

If the creator would like to make the Airfield more accurate I would be happy to supply photos of the buildings.

Anyway it is good to have it as is. It is a good place to fly a Harvard from. I have seen them there. They often practiced in the airspace over Mercer.

• Hi GKML,

My best suggestion to you is that you take it up with the author. That's the reason each download page has a "comments" section down at the bottom.

We are a forum website, we have no paid staff, we have no paid developers, all the free addons you see here are freely donated by the developers, and all feedback on individual scenery "issues" or praise should be posted directly to them.

I'm just an ordinary member, not on the staff, and am out of practice modelling for Flight Sim, so I try to field as many of the queries that are posted here - sort of a traffic director most of the time, actually.

JohnG

From Oz, Flight Simmer since FS1 - seriously since FS95

Contributed to, and managed a site called ProjectAI for a time

• Even better - give it to the designer, as I suggested. Most developers probably don't come to these fora, (and if they did, I'd probably have a lot less questions to answer) but they do visit their addon pages, and even if they didn't, they'd get a notification the next time they came on site. And remember, ALL feedback is GOOD feedback (unless it is malicious)

JohnG

• Thanks John I have sent the developer a message. If I don’t hear from him I will make the correct buildings myself. I'm very experienced at doing 3d modeling. I just need to get a handle on Blender as I haven't used it. That way I will have my own Mercer airfield as it really is.

• Ans I hope you'll grace our pages with any future addons you develop.

good luck. - Oh, and if you need some Blender tutorials,and like videos, then this might be the right set for you:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

JohnG

• Yeah, including this one:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    , and although old, this one:
    by Jonx.

But I posted that one to you as it is Blender-specific.

JohnG

• I spent all morning at Mercer airfield taking photos and a few dimensions. The owner of the field was happy for me to do it.

This locks me into the project. The main hanger on the field has a curved roof. It is very big. The main doors are 6.4m high.

The bridge over the stream doesn't have a handrail as I had remembered. Tell you it was a hot day out there. There is an interesting octagonal bee hive style building to do.